Thursday, July 22, 2010

Financial Aid

It's way too early to worry about FAFSA, but I found a great article in "Kiplinger's" on the pitfalls of the application. I've included the link here on the right under "Financial Aid." One thing I learned is that we need to get our taxes done as soon as possible in February as you need the information for the FAFSA application. Apparently the funds (not that we'll get anything except loans) are distributed first come, first served; and if you wait until April there won't be any left.

In the article are links to other interesting articles about college. One is a list of 100 public universities in the country that provide the best value (based on academic and cost factors). University of Washington is #7. UCSD is #11. Most of the UC's are in the top 70, but no CSU's made the list.

Did you know that UC covers your fees if the household income is under $70,000? I didn't know that. CSU doesn't do that, do they? That really makes the UC's a good value for low income families.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea! Thanks for this info, I will definitely keep it in mind as well as share with my students.

    ReplyDelete